Thursday, November 15, 2012

Responsible For What I Say and Do

 We started out reading a book called Chrysanthemum.  It's about a little mouse who gets teased because of her name.  We talked about bullying as being responsible for what I say and do.  They completed the wrinkled heart lesson.  Each girl cut out their heart and then I said some unkind words (you can't sit with me, you can't come to my party, your clothes are weird, etc.) and each time I said one, they made a wrinkle in their heart.  Then, I said some kind words (would you like to sit with me at lunch, your clothes are pretty, etc.) and they unfolded a wrinkle each time.  Even though the heart is all smoothed out, the wrinkles still remain, meaning the hurt still stays with you.  Words can be very hurtful and we need to be careful of what we say so we never wrinkle another heart.
 Then we went outside and played a little game.
We had them line up and then I read a statement.  If they thought it was kind/respectful, then they hopped, ran, skipped or jumped to that side.  If I read something mean/hurtful, they would then go to the other side.  

They had more fun doing the actions I think.

Sample:  "You can't sit here."

Sample:  "Helping someone pick up something he or she dropped."




 We decided to do our closing ceremony outside and around the tree.

  Right hand over left.

 The friendship squeeze going around the circle.


Since we touched on the subject of bullying, we had each girl sign their name on our No Bullies Troop Pledge.  They had just learned about bullying the week before in school.

No comments: